Two philosophy majors communicating through space and time about space and time, time and time again, in our own space, on our own time with Will, an econ major.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Dear Solomon

Dear Solomon,

Today was officially Day 2 of my move to Maui, Hawaii.  I slept fairly heavily, waking only once to the sound of baby's playful screams in the next room.  When I awoke a few hours later, the door to my room had been closed, probably in hopes that they wouldn't wake me.

The apartment I share with my cousin and his wife and baby is small, but somehow it fits all of us.  I sleep on a medium-sized bed next to the baby's bed.  Baby is sleeping with her mom and dad in their room until I leave, or they grow comfortable enough with me to put her back in her room while I'm still there.  The universe only know's which will occur first.

The island of Maui is beautiful, even though I've only traveled about 10 miles outside of Kahului (where the airport and my cousin's place are conviniently located).  As you travel in from O'ahu, the beauty of the West Maui Mountains is so stunning, it left me dumbfounded.  It was almost as if you are entering the kingdom of God, herself (*wink).  During the day the mountains are always visible, even through fog, clouds, and vog (pollution from volcanic ash) traveling from the Big Island.  Today we traveled southwest into Iao Valley, where the vegitation was so lush it seemed to lustfully suck us in.  We only traveled in to look and quickly back out, but I vow to go back for a hike in the upcoming months.



That was after we were texting about starting this blog.  Once we got back home, we put on our tennis shoes and headed down and across the street to the War Memorial Stadium where I ran laps and worked on sprinting while baby and her mom took a leisurely walk.  The sun was hot and my sprinting skills were lacking, but I was happy to have the opportunitiy to exercise.  Luckily, both my cousin and his pregnant wife are in the military and keep up with physical training, so they understand my obsessive need to work out. 

Upon return to the small apartment, I got online and applied to at least four jobs.  I applied to four jobs I would rather not work at, but I'm worried about being able to support myself here so I'm remaining open to all opportunities.  I can't even remember what jobs I applied to, I just hope I remember if they respond to my application.  And I do hope they respond.

I found a prospective job at the Hyatt in Lahaina that I thought I might be somewhat good at.  It's a position for a Banquet Assistant Manager position.  Lahaina is on the lower west side of the island, and I've heard that there are number of hotels and shopping in that area.  I also found a group of girls who are looking for a roommate in Lahaina.  Their advertisement on craigslist was for a female roommate to actually share a room (as in boardroom style) for around $450 a month.  They also said that they have surfboards and swimming equiment to share, and I found that pretty attractive.  I haven't been to Lahaina yet, it seems my cousin doesn't go down to that area very often.  But everytime I mentioned to people in Oahu that I was moving to Maui, they would always ask me if I was going to live in Lahaina.  All the hype has gotten me excited to see what the area is like.  My cousin's wife also mentioned that there is a large Borders Bookstore in Lahaina as well, and that has really sold me on it.  I will laugh if my move to Maui results in me doing the same thing I did in Virginia: hang out at the bookstore.

Tomorrow, we might be going to the beach to do some stand-up paddle.  I'm hoping to get up early enough for a good run and then a workout with my cousin at the gym.  I will definitely let you know how it pans out.

I heard it's pretty cold in DC now, are you looking forward to going back to Florida?  When do you leave?

Miss you,

Lyds

No comments:

Post a Comment