Two philosophy majors communicating through space and time about space and time, time and time again, in our own space, on our own time with Will, an econ major.

Sunday, January 2, 2011

re: Pale Blue Splat

How can we be sure that a creature not pertaining to the human form could encapsulate a consciousness?  I have no problem entertaining the possibility because it is of my nature to consider all things as conceivable, but I'm sure many so-called 'humanists' would disagree with the notion of a consious being outside of our own environment (I don't think E.T. would agree with them).

But for the purposes of conceivability, if I had been a non-human creature popping into existence orbiting and eventually landing on Earth with only the meager capability of the unfortunately short list of five 'human' senses, I suppose my experience would go something like this:

Clearness, pain, confusion, blurriness, focus, euphoria, and then pain again, followed by euphoria and an endless cycle of the above emotions.

What do you think it feels like to be a piece of soil, a giraffe, or an atom?  Does it 'feel' like anything?  How can we be sure that any other being does or does not have a conciousness?

No comments:

Post a Comment